Sancte Vivere
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sancte Vivere

Promoting the Catholic Faith in its own little way

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Louise Bernadette
Marshal — Co-Administrator
Louise Bernadette

ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation Empty
PostSubject: ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation   ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 9:33 pm

A GENTLE REMINDER TO ALL CATHOLICS:

Today May 1, 2008 Thursday is the 40th day after the feast of the Resurrection of Our Lord from the dead and Holy Mother Church obliges all her children to keep this day holy “by assisting (attending, Ed.) at a complete Mass with attention and devotion and by resting from all works that requires the labor of the body more than of the mind (2 HRS WORK IS CONSIDERED AS A SERVILE WORK. Ed.)

“The obligation of assisting at a complete Mass… is serious and binds under the pain of sin, which may be mortal or venial according to the length of and importance of the part missed.

“Valid excuses from assisting at Mass: sickness great distance from the Church (one hour’s walk [or 2 hrs drive, Ed]), need to take care of small children, employment or office that cannot be omitted or interrupted, etc.

“EMLOYERS MUST GIVE THE OPPURTUNITY TO THEIR EMPLOYEES, HELPERS, DRIVERS SALES CLERKS, ETC., TO GO TO MASS.

“We should fulfill the duty of attending Mass… out of love of God and not just to avoid sin or out of sense of duty only. …To attend Mass is for our own spiritual benefit, since the graces we need to live as good Christians come to us through the Mass.

“… We should avoid all unnecessary servile work, which are heavy and manual works done with body rather than the mind. However, such works are permitted when they are required for the honor of God, the needs of our neighbor, the good of the community or some other urgent reasons. This includes the work of the firemen, policemen, and persons who operate public transportation. In case of doubt whether some kind of servile work is permitted or not, the parish priest should be consulted.”

Excerpts taken from:
Catechism of Catholic Church
Catechesis for the People of God
MANUAL

Imprimatur
His Eminence Jaime L. Cardinal Sin
June 21, 1982

Note: Attendance of protestant services by All Catholics could NEVER fulfill this obligation.
Back to top Go down
Lionheart
Private
Private
Lionheart

PostSubject: Re: ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation   ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 12:44 am

I think we only have 3 Holy Days of Obligation here in the Philippines:
1. December 8: Feast of the Immaculate Conception
2. December 25: Christmas
3. January 1: Circumcision of our Lord
Back to top Go down
Louise Bernadette
Louise Bernadette

PostSubject: Re: ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation   ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 3:36 am

Thanks for the correction! I based the above statement from the booklet distributed by Fr. Griego some years ago stating the 6 holy days of obligation, including the feast of the Ascension of Our Lord. (Preparation for Confirmation. Turn to page 5 if you can obtain a copy of it )

Anyway, this is an international forum...
lol!

Thanks once again!
Back to top Go down
Lionheart
Private
Private
Lionheart

PostSubject: Re: ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation   ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 9:46 am

You're welcome Louise Bernadette.
Yes, I saw that Preparation for Confirmation booklet and found out that it was really noted that there are 6 holy days of obligations for the U.S.
I just thought that you were referring to the Holy days of obligation here in the Philippines because of the Imprimatur of Cardinal Sin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation   ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ASCENSION THURSDAY – A Holy Day of Obligation
Page 1 of 1